Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

I couldn't have asked for a better Mother's Day today. Kurt came home yesterday after being out of town for 13 days, the kids took great care of me and Finn gave an amazing talk in sacrament meeting. I'm so proud of him for doing such a great job!



Mothers Day Talk
I could spend the next five minutes arguing about whose mom is the best, but I’m here to tell you that my mom is.
My mom is the most genuine, fun, loving and caring mother any one could ask for. She does it all, from cooking and cleaning, to supporting me at my soccer games, and helping me get the grades I need to actually graduate from high school. She gave a real college try at getting my Eagle, but it wasn’t meant to be. I wish you had tried just a little bit harder, Mom. Probably my bad. Even though she cuts my curfew pretty short every night, which I hate, I know she does it because she loves me and cares for me. She’s had a huge impact on my wanting to serve a mission this early. Her faith in the church and her testimony has given me strength and confidence in knowing this is the right time. I love you, Mom.
Since it’s Mother’s Day today, I’d like to wish all of the other great mother’s here a happy Mother’s Day. I know the guys I hang out with have great moms, and I know they love and respect them. I’d like to apologize to them for forcing them to shop for food more often than they probably need to.
I’m going to spend the next couple minutes talking about a few women who stand out as great mothers to me.
The first mother I’d like to talk about is Mary, the mother of Jesus. Mary was young and poor, it was estimated that she was probably around 12 years old when she was engaged to Joseph to be married, and somewhere between 13 and 15 years
old when she gave birth to Jesus. That’s very young in our day and age. I would be an uncle to Emerson’s son. That’s pretty hard to think about.
Mary must’ve known the risk of becoming pregnant out of wedlock, which in those days was death by stoning and disgrace put on her family. She nearly lost her fiancĂ© and was forced to have to answer to, and be the conversation of, everyone she knew. But Mary was a woman of rare strength and obedience and agreed to conceive the Savior of mankind. We are all aware of the long journey on a donkey she made while very pregnant, and the problems she faced finding a place to bear her first child. But she bore these trials with grace and dignity. Mary bore several sons and daughters on a carpenter’s income. She was a homemaker and no question a good one. Joseph died some time earlier, so she was the only human being to be with Jesus throughout his entire life, from his birth to his death. She had to watch as her oldest son was tortured and crucified. She gave birth to Him as her baby and watched Him die as her Savior. Mary lived quietly after that. Nothing more is spoken of her. She was most likely surrounded lovingly by her children and grandchildren. The time and manner of her death are unknown. Mary was for sure an incredible mother.
I think of Lucy Mack Smith, the mother of Joseph Smith. A couple years after marrying Joseph Smith, Sr., she was diagnosed with consumption, a disease which had no cure, and from which her sisters had previously died. The doctors did all they could, and ultimately gave up on her. But Lucy did not feel she was prepared to die and meet the Savior. She vowed that if God would spare her, so that she could raise her children and be a comfort to her husband, she would serve Him with all her
heart until the day she died. Consumption didn’t take her life. So from that point on she began her long search for a religion that would prepare her to meet God. She educated her ten children from her home, as they couldn’t afford to send them to school. Joseph Smith, Sr. was indifferent to religion at the time, so she took it upon herself to teach the children from the Bible and pray with them. Years later after the restoration of the true church, and her family’s alignment to it, she became a great pillar of strength and mother to the early saints. As the saints were gathering in Kirtland, many came impoverished and starving. She took charge of feeding and housing them. That sounds like my house on the weekend. Like Mary the mother of Jesus, Lucy Mack had to watch, as her sons were falsely imprisoned, tortured and finally martyred. Lucy Mack became a symbol of family continuity. She spoke often of the trials her family went through in the building a new church with her son as prophet. She hoped all of her children would accompany the saints west, and stated if they would go, she would go. Ultimately she ended up staying in Nauvoo with her daughter-­‐in-­‐law Emma and other family members. She lived as a devout Latter-­‐day Saint until her death.
Finally I think of my grandma who raised my great mom. I’m lucky to still have two grandmas and two great-­‐grandmas. My Grandma England is a wonderful woman who raised my mom in a loving home where the gospel was taught. My mom remembers the early days when my Grandpa England used to race boats on Sunday. That actually sounds like fun. But his race career eventually ended and church became the norm on Sunday. My Grandma England continues to be a great example
to her children, a couple of which who are still finding their way back to the church, and loves having the entire family over several times a month for Sunday dinner.
My Grandma Brian is also a wonderful woman. After my Grandpa Brian died, she became a rallying point to her children, which tells me they love her very much. I love spending time at her ranch in the summer and over the holidays. I spoke in the beginning of my talk about how much my mom means to me. She is a pillar in our family as well. I love spending time with her, and love the happiness she brings to our home. She ironed this shirt today. This will be an adjustment for me when I go on my mission. I want to wish you a wonderful Mother’s Day, Mom. I love you.

No comments: