Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pesto




We LOVE fresh pesto at our house! The past couple of years we have grown our own basil so making the pesto is pretty convenient. And it's so easy to make. It also freezes really well so you can still have fresh pesto in the middle of the winter.

This recipe is actually from a neighbor in my old ward Barb Elder----thanks Barb!

PESTO

2 cups fresh basil
2 TBSP pine nuts (I have also used walnuts before)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
2/3 cup olive oil
2 TBSP butter

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor.

Note: I also will use ONLY parmesan since I don't normally keep romano on hand. Still tastes great!

I freeze the pesto in small batches so it stays as fresh as possible. It also stays fresher looking if you keep a small layer of olive oil over the top. 


3 comments:

Ryan said...

Want a good and easy gnocchi to make with that pesto? I've got an awesome recipe! Can't wait to try this!

Marnie said...

Ghocchi.....yes!!! Never made it but would love to try!

Barb Elder said...

Pesto!! I love pesto and your welcome glad you like it. I need to do the same and freeze for the winter. So yummy!!