Sunday, December 21, 2008

18 Years!-Part 2

Hangin' out in the lobby of Deseret Towers
Our constant companion and chaperone, Scott Wares

Sam Hall Spring Formal 1988 in St. George


Kappa Spring Formal 1988



More dorm fun!
So the story continues.........
After our first date, we started to spend more and more time together. We would sit by each other in class and even walk to class together. About this time, Kurt started Sam Hall Pledge so he was not allowed to see me unless it was a club sponsored activity. So we would have to meet after curfew at various places around campus----mostly the tunnels near the Marriott Center. By this time, I was hooked! He was all I could think about. I was sick thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation knowing we wouldn't be spending as much time together. I don't think we saw each other during either of those school breaks. I remember talking to him on New Year's Eve while I was hanging out with my friends and the Holmberg's.
After we started winter semester we were only dating each other. It was such a fun time in our lives---carefree and non-stop fun (with a little studying in between!).
A few weeks into the semester, Kurt told me he was leaving for a few days to go waterskiing with his friend Dave Pearson. I was sick! He was literally only gone for maybe 4 days but I thought I was going to die! I was wandering around like a lost puppy. When he came home, he told me that he had gotten his mission call. I was so shocked because he had never even said one thing about turning in his papers or anything. I figured he would go on a mission but was surprised that he hadn't talked about it at all. It was then that I got a little dose of reality. I realized that our freshman year was not going to last forever.
In February of that year, during a school break, we went to San Diego with Mike Huish, Finn Jensen and some other friends. Mike's family was so nice to let us stay at their house. We went to Disneyland, Tijuana and the beach. Kurt paid for everything that whole trip. I was so embarrassed that he would pay for me! He was so sweet and fun. I have such great memories of that trip.




1 comment:

Kellie said...

Marnie, what a fun post! I remember we talked that we were both at "U Hall" when we were on the field trip together. I got my old directory out and found you :). This post was so funny because I remember spending many an hour in the lobby too :) Happy Anniversary! Our 18th will be in April.