Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Highs and the Lows

Me at the beginning of my run this morning. Notice the snow coming down!

This past winter has been a real low in terms of motivation and energy for me. I wrote a post about it back in December. Well, it continued to linger months later. I am glad I signed up for the Canyonlands Half to keep me running even when I didn't want to. When I went to my doctor in early February, she discovered that my thyroid was low and my vitamin D was low. That would explain a lot of things.

Now, a few months later and after some adjustments in medication and supplements, I finally feel like I am getting my energy AND my desire to run back. I have had 2 really great runs in the past few weeks that have helped me remember why I love to run. The first was in Arcadia. We had a few hours between races. So while Montana and Summer were resting up, Hawk, Cheryl and I headed into the hills. The temperature was perfect, the trail was beautiful and the company was the best! When we got to the top and looked over the other side, we were looking down on Mt. Sac where they hold another big cross country and track meet. Then I looked back to where we had come from (which was really far away!) and I was a little overwhelmed. But I was feeling good and it ended up not feeling as far away as it looked.

The second great run was last Saturday afternoon. Montana, Summer and Kandace needed a cool-down run after their meet. We decided to head to The Rock-which is a portion of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. The girls headed up first. Cheryl drove Hawk and I to the trailhead and then met us all partway through the run. I had done this run once before with Montana and it was HARD! This time it was still hard but so much easier when you are distracted with conversation and people.

I have come to the conclusion that I need people to run with at this stage in my running life! I need the conversation, the company and the extra motivation of people with similar goals. I have a few more days to sign up for St. George and I even have a partner to run with if we get in! I think the lows are on their way out! Hooray for the highs!
Me at the END of my run this morning. SUN!

No comments: