Friday, January 20, 2012

Life with Diabetes


An entire shelf in our kitchen is now dedicated to supplies--lancets, alcohol pads, syringes, books, meters, you name it....

Life has changed a bit for us around here....but not too much. Eating a meal, or eating anything for that matter, involves a little bit more time and MATH! We have gotten really good at our 12 times tables recently (his insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit insulin for every 12 carbs).

I spent a lot more time at the pharmacy.

There is a lot more worry when I go down to wake Indy up in the morning. There is always that lingering fear that his blood sugar has gone really low in the night and he is not going to wake up. What an awful feeling.

But overall Indy has done great. He basically takes care of everything himself and is really good at it. I'm very proud of how he has handled this change in his lifestyle.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

You know, when something like this happens, I'm sure it makes you wonder about many things...Why is he afflicted with this? What are we to learn from it? Maybe this is to bring his relationship with you closer--to still show some reliance on mom and dad. Maybe it's to make him more responsible for himself--to prepare him for something in the future. Anyway, I'm sure you and Kurt have already gone through this whole thought process. I'm just rambling...

Kurt and Marnie said...

I have really thought about that a lot! And I'm sure I won't really know in this life why he got diabetes but I KNOW that I'm grateful (as weird as this may sound)that it is diabetes and not something else. He could have gotten and still could get cancer or something else which would be so much more challenging to deal with. I really do feel lucky in spite of it.

Kurt and Marnie said...

I have really thought about that a lot! And I'm sure I won't really know in this life why he got diabetes but I KNOW that I'm grateful (as weird as this may sound)that it is diabetes and not something else. He could have gotten and still could get cancer or something else which would be so much more challenging to deal with. I really do feel lucky in spite of it.

Christy said...

I was just thinking about him the other day and wondering you all were doing. There was a "True Life" on people with diabetes on MTV that we recorded and watched. I was grateful that Indy is a lot more responsible than the people on that show.
It is weird how you can become grateful for trials in your life. Being able to see the good things in the hard things is a HUGE accomplishment. I think that is one of the biggest lessons to learn in any trial. Keep it up.

noelle said...

Hi Marnie! My brother was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was little, and I watched how my mom and how we adjusted/dealt with it all those years, and I just wanted to say that it's a lot harder than people probably realize. It was a huge and all-consuming event for about a year and there were definitely a lot of tears, fear and struggle. Eventually and thankfully it sort of became the 7th kid in the family and we all fell into orbit around it and learned to take care of it - it took a while but I remember pretty well about the time it became the new "normal." Good luck and fight on brave mama!